Chief Operations Officer Dr Batandwa SiswanaBiography of Batandwa Siswana
Dr Batandwa Siswana is the Chief Operations Officer (Accounting Officer) at The Presidency and the Deputy Secretary of Cabinet.
Dr Batandwa Siswana holds the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Administration.
• Master’s Degree in Administration, specialising in Public Policy and Management, from the University of the Western Cape.
• Doctorate in Public Affairs, specialising in Public Finance, from the University of Pretoria.
• Currently enrolled with University of London, studying a Master’s in Finance, specialising in Economic policy.
Position last held / Career
Prior to joining The Presidency Dr Batandwa Siswana worked in various positions for both the private and public sectors, including:
• The South African Parliament, where he was charged with the responsibility of conducting research and advising the Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Public Service and Administration regarding public policy matters and governance.
• The Public Service Commission, where he was tasked to develop a risk management framework for the public sector. He later moved to the Monitoring and Evaluation section, within the same institution, where his key responsibilities to monitor and evaluate public sector policies, programmes and projects.
• He has also worked at the Applied Fiscal Research Centre (AFReC), where he was a Public Finance specialist, responsible for developing Public Finance courses, such as Risk management and expenditure management etc. He also advised executive officials from all three spheres of government on risk management, planning, budgeting, and governance.
• Dr. Siswana has also held an Executive Management position at the Chemical Industries Education and Training Authority (CHIETA), a statutory body established by the Skills Development Act (1998), through the Department of Labour, which is mandated to facilitate skills development in the chemical industries sector. Dr Siswana’s core responsibilities at CHIETA ensuring that the company’s risk are adequately managed and that the company operates within the proper corporate governance framework.
• Dr Siswana then worked with the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA). Whilst there he was seconded to work at the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, responsible for the National Programme called Operation Clean Audit. Whilst working there, he also provided technical advice on intergovernmental fiscal relations in South Africa and broader fiscal governance issues, including budgeting and planning.
• It was in 2010, that Dr Siswana joined The Presidency as a special advisor on governance to the President on secondment from the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA). His responsibilities included advising the President on improving departmental processes and systems, Cabinet processes as well as monitoring and evaluation.
• The Presidency later appointed Dr Batandwa Siswana, as Chief Operations Officer with effect from 1 September 2011. He is the operational head of administration in the Presidency with responsibilities that include strategic planning, risk management and financial management. He is also the Deputy Secretary of Cabinet, assisting the Director-General and Secretary of Cabinet, Dr Cassius Lubisi.