President Zuma to brief media on the Report of the Commission on Traditional Leadership Disputes and Claims
27 July 2010
President Zuma will on Thursday 29 July 2010 brief the media on the Report of the Commission on Traditional Leadership Disputes and Claims.
The Commission was appointed in terms of Section 25(2) of the Traditional Leadership and Governance Framework Act (Act No. 41 of 2003) and was chaired by Professor Thandabantu Nhlapo. The Commission was mandated to hear:
• cases where there is doubt whether a Traditional Leadership position was established in accordance with Customary Law;
• cases where the title of an incumbent Traditional Leader is challenged;
• claims by communities to be recognised as traditional communities;
• cases questioning whether any establishment of "tribes" was legitimate;
• disputes around Traditional Authority boundaries and the resultant division or merging of "tribes"; and
• any other relevant matters.
Details of the media briefing are
Thursday, 29 July 2010
Union Buildings, Media Centre (Bring press cards)
Members of the media wishing to attend the briefing should please submit their details to Matshepo@po.gov.za or sms 082 6799473 by end of business on Wednesday 28 July 2010.
Enquiries: Zanele Mngadi on 082 330 1148
ISSUED BY THE PRESIDENCY